The district derives its name from Rewa town, the district headquarters,
which is another name for Narmada river. The district with present boundary came into
existence in 1950 after the promulgation of the Provinces and states (Transfer of
ENCLAVES) order 1950. Prior to August 1947 the district along with the Raghurajnagar
tahsil of the erstwhile Rewa state correspended to the north Rewa district of that state .
The territones now included in the district were held by the imperral Maurya dynasty which
ruled in the 3rd century B.C. In the advent of the Kalchurls from the 9th to the end of
12th century. The Baghela king driven eastwards by Ulugh Khan , brother of the emperor
Alauddin in the 13th century appeared in this Baghela kings till the abdication of the
Crown by the last successor of the dynasty, Martand Singh.after the country became
independent, the Rewa ruler accede to the Union of India. The present Rewa district came
into existence in 1950 .